An adaptor is now available to allow
a 7" single to be used on the platter. More info here.
Also, the unit is upgradeable via
software. Details of all updates are here and
they can be downloaded here.
Reviews and Comments
I-DJ Magazine Review
Average Street Price £769/$999
Useful Related Links
Not an official Denon site but used by Denon staff to make announcements
and generally communicate with Denon users.
Al is a moderator on the above forum and his own site carries some
useful info and downloads for Denon owners.
If ever there was a cd deck to get skratch dj's
thinking twice about cd's and mp3's for turntablism - this is the one.
While it shares many features with the Pioneer
CDJ series, the best feature to persuade us to drop our reluctance
accept cd's as a part of turntablism is the rotating platter. It
even needs slipmats! The 7" platter does take a little getting
used to but the sound that comes out is just like vinyl. And add
to this the ability to add an actual 7" single to the deck via
a special adaptor - Denon have clearly thought hard about converting
vinyl dj's over to the digital world.
Also worth adding at this point
is the new software update. On top of all the features listed below,
is now standard including a nifty way of navigating through your
collection. Details are here and
it can be downloaded here.
• World's First Motor Driven Active Platter
for true vinyl emulation (Patent Pending)
• FREE MP3 playback Plug In now available!
• Store up to 255 MP3 tracks per disc! (V.B.R. or C.B.R.
• Alpha Track (2 in 1) allows independent and simultaneous
playback of another track from the same disc, mix tracks together
with just one unit.
• Hot Disc lets you eject a disc during play and have
it continue for another 35 seconds, you can also loop within the
Hot Disc memory for an unlimited time
• 3-Way Scratch lets you apply scratch effects by selecting
Main, Alpha or Sampler Track as the source
• Mirror Mix lets you select the same track in Main and
Alpha Track and play it after a specified time delay.
• Clear Scratch Disc allows you create your own custom
slip mat designs on any standard PC + printer
• 2 DN-S5000 units can be connected to a DN-X800 via
the X-Effect ports and operated by the faders
• 2 DN-S5000 units can view each other's Memo data (when
connected via the X-Effect In and Out ports)
• Relay Play, Program Relay Play, Random Relay Play are
possible when 2 DN-S5000 units are connected together.
• Independent Digital Outputs (Coaxial, SPDIF) for Main
and Alpha Track. Constant Digital Output; output at 44.1 kHz is
possible even when Playback Speed is changed. With digital connection
all effects are available.
• Dedicated Alpha Track Fader Start port.
• Manual input of BPM values (*AUTO BPM and Manual TAP
are also possible)
• Switchable display of Main and Alpha Track times.
• 100 mm long Slider for Playback Speed Control
• 4 Hot Starts - a total of 4 Hot Start sounds can be
played: Start Point A1, A2, A3, and A4
• 4 Seamless Loops can be made
• A-B Splice removes unwanted sections of a track seamlessly
(2 points per track)
• A-B Trim/Move - The A & B points for the seamless
loop, sampler loop, and splice points can easily be adjusted using
the Scratch Disc in real time.
• 6 Stutter Cue Play Points
• 2 Samplers (approx 15 sec. in 20Hz - 20 kHz, 16-bit,
44.1 kHz quality)
• Recessed Connecting Terminals on the back panel
• Memo Function - 5,000 Loops and Cue's can be stored
internally. This data can also be copied to another DN-S5000, and
Memo from a DN-D9000 or DN-2600F can also be copied to a DN-S5000
• Instant Start (0.2 sec)
• CD-R/RW Disc Playback
• Plays 3" mini CD's too, without a cartridge adaptor
• Program/Random Play - program up to 25 tracks on a
CD for playback and the programs for up to 6 discs can be stored
in memory, Random Play of CDs loaded in both drives is also possible.
• Pitch Control; +/- 4%, 10%, 16%, 24%, 100%
• Shock Proof Memory - Main/Alpha 16 seconds each for
CD audio, 20 seconds for MP3 • X-EFFECT compatible
with DENON's DN-X800 mixer
• FADER START compatible with DENON's DN-X800, DN-X400